Monday 16 July 2012

Ping Pong Ball Activity


Nowadays, I find lil princess  very active.  I used to think that girls are quiet and behave well, whereby they can sit still and play their own toys.  Somehow, lil princess is different as she grows older.  She is also as active as my lil prince.  I now not only have one hyperactive child at home, in fact, now I have two!  Sometimes, I find it hard to concentrate when I am guiding lil prince in his homework.  My lil princess will be disturbing us most of the time. 
 
Yesterday, I decided to distract her by giving her some activity to focus on.  I prepared two bowls (big and small), six ping pong balls and a tong.  I asked her to transfer the ping pong balls from one bowl to another bowl.  Although it seems like an easy task, but for a 23 months old baby with small hands, she seems to struggle a bit at the beginning.  After 20 minutes, she began to get hold of it and this activity managed to make her sit at the same spot for 1 hour!  I had the other 1 hour to focus on lil prince and his school work and also we did some colouring activities.   

I believe that this activity also benefit lil princess with her hands movement.  I remember reading about this activity from one of the Montessori blog.  The purpose of this activity is to teach a child to move objects using tongs.  This help them to develop their fine motor skills, concentration, coordination and control.

I remember when lil prince was young, I read about some Montessori activities that are pretty interesting for baby.  I guess I should start searching again.

9 comments:

  1. Your house has so many ping pong balls, who is playing ping pong? Clever you, finally got something to distract her and you could have more time to do your own things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yan,
      Actually none of us play ping pong. I just bought them for the kids to play for fun :)

      Delete
  2. Kitty, a good way to distract lil princess with an activity where she can learn to focus and concentrate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quay Po,
      Yes, it works to keep lil princess away for a while!...hehehehe

      Delete
  3. Very good idea.. killing two birds with one stone...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Little Kit Boy Mummy,
      Ya ya...need to have more of these activities in future!

      Delete
  4. This is good activity to polish her motor skill. You are so clever. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Mummy Gwen. Good way to train her motor skills!

      Delete
  5. This is so clever and cute!

    ReplyDelete